Wine barrels: distinctive décor that adds panache and taste to any home
Comments: No Responses
DENVER – People are always looking for ways to decorate their homes with items that add a little different flavor than the norm, a touch of panache that draws interest from visitors and says something subtle and classy about the residents. And it has to be something that speaks to their lifestyle, their station in life, their sense of taste.
Consider the wine barrel. Oaken. Toasted. Ageless. Honest.
And more versatile that you’d ever imagine.
Of course, here at Rocky Mountain Barrel Company we have used wine barrels in stock in various sizes – 15 gallon, 25 gallon, 1-, 2-, 3-, 5-, 10-, 20- and 45-liter – crafted from beautiful, tight grain American Oak that’s been dried for 2-4 years and finished in a medium toast (a slight char on the inside that helps in the wine-ageing process) that are perfect for the winemaker. You can, if you want, make wine in a plastic tub, by why would you? Ageing in oak is the way to go.
Used wine barrels, mostly from that famous California wine region Napa Valley, are a bit different – a lot more distinctive – since their useful life as a wine-ageing vessel has been used up, but in the process they have taken on the patina, if you will, of wisdom and style.
Wine barrels from commercial vineyards tend to be on the larger size, in the 60-gallon arena (225 liters), and will stand on end approximately 37.32 inches in height, with heads about 25 inches across. After they are constructed, using both American and French Oak, the inside is “toasted” slightly to help let the oak lend a little flavor to the wine inside, especially with reds. They are filled to the brim with wine with no air inside, allowing the porous quality of the oak itself to cover the “breathing” necessary in ageing wine. They can be used, generally, for this ageing process for about 5 years – with one scraping of the inside and re-toasting – before their useful life as a flavor-enhancing vessel has been used up.
After that, what to do?
Some of the wine has leeched into the wood, giving it the air of distinctiveness, and the aroma of the oak mixed delicately with hints of wine make the barrels highly attractive both to the eye and the nose.
The most obvious home decoration choice, given the size, is a small table – particularly a tasting table in a home wine cellar. This adds an aura of authenticity to the wine room, and the barrel in any case is also just the right size and height to be the perfect platform for serving a wine tasting. They also, of course, make a wonderful decorative and utilitarian table or platform in a kitchen, library, or den, and, with the end removed, in the hallway as a holder of umbrellas or walking sticks.
Here’s a few other decorative/useful ideas for the wine barrels:
…some of which the handy buyer can do alone, and some of which Rocky Mountain Barrel Company can accommodate for you:
- Meat Smoker – Turn your used wine barrel into a meat smoker! Let the years of red wine that has sunken into the wine barrel add a new layer of flavor to your smoked meats.
- Half Barrel Planters – Cut your used wine barrel in half (or check out our Half Barrel Planters already cut for you). To hang your new planter, just screw in the hoops of your used wine barrel to the staves. These make incredible planters that bring an added sense of natural wood to your home garden or doorstep!
- Yard Decorations – Perfect for any wine lover! Fits great in any corner of the yard or you can stack multiple used wine barrels together to resemble a real winery cellar. The used wine barrels will hold up to the worst weather you can think of! They are constructed with 1″ thick tight grain French white oak!
- Trash Cans – Take the top head off of your used wine barrel and insert a plastic or metal trash can. Add a handle to the top and you have a trash can that will enhance your neighborhood’s look!
- Center, Bar, or End Tables – A must have for any wine lover. Used Wine barrels bring a great ambience to your living room, bar, or any room! Looks great next to couches or makes a great table for lamps and decorations! For a cheap $40 you can find a very nice 1″ thick glass top for your wine barrel! Makes for great pillars for bars or desks as well. With a glass top you can relax while seeing the cooperage stamp through the clear glass top.
- Marketing pieces – Perfect for any retail store! Used Wine barrels sure are head turners and will help increase sales in your retail store!
- Bathtub for Pets – Cut your used wine barrel in half length-wise, screw in the staves, and mount to the floor.
- Cooler – Cut your used wine barrel in half length-wise, insert a water proof liner, and you’re ready to go!
- Wine Rack – Cut an opening into your used wine barrel and create a custom wine rack!
- Water Fountain – With a creative imagination, you can turn your used wine barrel into almost any kind of water decoration or fountain!
We’ve seen all of these things but the beautiful use of a classic wine barrel is only limited by one’s imagination.
Make a statement today about your style with beautiful used wine barrels from Rocky Mountain Barrel Company. Call 720-220-5184 for complete details.